Why use cloud computing? Cloud computing you access to your business data and applications from any location on multiple devices at a reasonable price. The cloud gives small businesses access to technology that may have previously been out of their reach allowing them to compete with both other small businesses as well as larger ones.
Many traditional desktop applications are disappearing, e.g., many accounting software vendors no longer offer desktop software – they chose to move their products to the cloud and offer cheaper, online subscription-based services that are perfect for small businesses.
WHY CLOUD COMPUTING CAN SAVE YOU MONEY
- You don’t have to pay for someone to do tasks such as install and update software, install and manage email servers and/or file servers, run backups – the cool part of cloud computing is that all the responsibility of maintaining the service or application is the responsibility of the cloud vendor, not yours.
- No need to purchase software. Besides the benefit of not having to buy software programs and install them on your own servers/computers, using cloud applications will save you money.
- You may be able to consolidate your separate application needs into one cloud service. For example, Google Business Apps includes email, a calendar scheduling application, Google Docs for creating documents and presentations as well as online file storage. Microsoft has also added cloud services with Office 365. It can be purchased by annual subscription and includes online video conferencing, Skype and instant messaging connectivity.
- Reduce your system hardware. File storage, data backups and software all take up a lot of space on your servers/computers. Cloud computing, uses someone else’s servers to store all the data instead, freeing up your in-house computer equipment for other purposes or you may no longer require it.
- A cloud computing application will make integration easier. Because most cloud computing applications include an Application Programming Interface (API) you should be able to find “compatible” applications rather than having to pay to have the applications you want to be integrated customized for you.
- Cloud computing applications are regularly updated, so you don’t have to waste time and money doing it – and it has the benefit of always having access to an application’s latest features and functions.